From: 'Bruce Arroll' <[log in to unmask]>

To: ÀÌ»ó¹« <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: RE: threshold to decide treatment

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 20:19:48 +1300

Dear all

Effect size is only part of the issue. Patient preference is also an issue. We found patients preferred pictures to numbers and NNT. It depends on the comparison as there is a paper which shows nnt is preferred to increase in life expectancy which is often remarkably short even in cardiovascular disease. Making long living humans live longer is difficult to do (other than stopping people smoking)

bruce

Bruce Arroll MBChB, PhD, FRNZCGP, FAFPHM
Professor and Head of Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland

ph (64-9) 3737599 ext 86978
fax (64-9) 3737624

Physical address
School of Population Health room 378 building 730
Tamaki Campus
261 Morrins Rd
Corner Morrins and Merton Rd
Glen Innes