From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Ikins
Sent: 13 March 2009 20:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Britons in Anglo-Saxon England

---- John Briggs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There are maps of the individual counties ...in:
>Celtic Voices English Places:
> Sorry to add to your reading list!

My copy is well-worn for its age. I re-read the introduction last night.

I'm still a bit unsure of the basis of for any controversy over the survival of names. Survival presumes that an earlier name of a specific place was known. If the Brittonic name of a place is not known, how do we know it did not survive?

--
Tom Ikins

The Roman Map of Britain
http://www.romanmap.com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).
use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk