From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Anthony Appleyard
Sent: 13 March 2009 06:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: revival of ancient names

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:14:22 -0000, Keith Briggs <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>Old names are certainly revived:
>  - in Swindon, names of new suburbs (Nythe, Eldene, Liden?) are taken
>from OE charters (S568, ...?) ...
>The question is: how widespread is this practice? ...
>Should I suspect foul play?   Does anyone have provable examples of
>ancient names being revived like this, especially for houses, fields,
>or farms?

I read about a farm called Wilson, recorded first in the early Middle
Ages as Wolgerestun, and presumably coming from "Wulfga_res tu_n";
recently its occupants renamed it as "Wulfgar's Farm". I don't know why:
postal confusion with someine with surname Wilson in its ordinary origin
as "William's son"?

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).
use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk