From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Richard Coates
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 12:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EPNL] [spam] [EPNL] Britons in Anglo-Saxon England

John,

You don't appear to consider the logical possibility that the emerging
paradigm may be wrong! I don't regard the "gene flow from the east"
evidence as entailing any particular linguistic consequences. And I'm
vexed by Peter Schrijver's conclusions, because I find his arguments
clever but leading in directions I can't accommodate.

My position has always, and only, been that the linguistic (including
toponymic) evidence does not suit the "continuity" hypothesis in any of
its shapes. If nonlinguistic evidence does, then sure, we have something
that needs discussion, but we should not accept subordination of the
linguistic evidence to other sorts.

Richard

Richard Coates
Professor of Linguistics ~ Professor of Onomastics and
Director of the Bristol Centre for Linguistics at UWE
http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/bcl/index.shtml

Hon. Director, Survey of English Place-Names
(w: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/ins/epns/)

Contact details:
e:   [log in to unmask]
t:   +44 (0)117 328 3278 (internal 83278)
f:   +44 (0)117 328 2295
h:   Room 5E26
     Dept of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies
     University of the West of England (Frenchay campus)
     Bristol BS16 1QY, UK
w:  http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/staff_coates_r.shtml