-----Original Message-----
From: The Disability-Research Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Sullivan
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Impairment/PWD/Disabled people

Surely the problem is with trying to re-claim the term
"disability" to express our experience of exclusion and
marginalisation.  Disability is, after all, the terminology
of those who have excluded us to date and it has such a firm
hold in the consciousness of the mainstream population that
trying to get them to use it in another way is like banging
your head against a brick wall - painful and ultimately
ineffective.

Would it not, (as others I know have suggested), be better
to talk about our experience of exclusion and
marginalisation as disablism?  This might have the virtue of
bringing the terminology in line with that used to describe
the experience of other groups, i.e. racism, sexism, ageism,
etc, and thereby promote greater understanding of what we
are speaking about.

Some may argue that this would be to accept that we have
disabilities, (and thereby promote an individual model), but
is that any worse than saying we have "impairments"?, As
someone in this thread has already pointed out, impairment
is also medical/individual model language.

So, might it not be legitimate to say that I have a
particular disability, (which is as much part of my identity
as my gender, hight, hair colour, etc), and that the
exclusion and marginalisation I experience because of this
is disablism (which is as unacceptible as racism, sexism,
ageism, etc)?

It might be objected of course, that we should not accept
either disability or impairment, but should, instead, speak
of variation.  I have a lot of sympathy for this viewpoint.
However, for practical purposes, we do need to categorise
variation at times.  For example, when trying to decide
whether a student' or employee is at such a point in the
scale of variation that they need particular arrangements or
equipment to put them on equal terms with their peers.

Regards,

Paul