----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:14 PM

I am a member of a Department of Health committee which funds medical and
social care research.

Each application for funding has to be reviewed by other researchers and
preferably, someone who is not a medical professional. These people can be
service users and they are currently looking for more people to carry out
reviews.

Below is some information about this from the website and if you might be
interested (people will be paid and it is something you can do from home),
you should contact Jean Cooper Moran, the Senior Programme Manager for
Public Patient Involvement at the NIHR-CCF National Institute for Health
Research Central Commissioning Facility on 0208 943 7648.
Patient and public involvement: lay review and lay membership
The NIHR Central Commissioning Facility values the experience of patients
and the public needed to broaden the range of knowledge and insight of our
commissioning panels and committees. We always welcome public interest in
how to become a lay reviewer to help to assess NIHR-CCF research proposals.
We also invite public involvement within our commissioning panels and
regional committees by including experienced lay reviewers as members.

What is involved for the lay reviewer?

Lay reviewers and members are expected to comment on the proposed research
from the point of view of acceptability tothe patient. Advice and guidance
is provided to volunteers. Lay and peer reviewers are assigned proposals to
comment on but do not attend meetings. The additional lay and peer
commentary submitted in advance of meetings helps to inform the
commissioning process.

Will I be paid?

The NIHR Central Commissioning Facility is able to arrange reimbursement for
the time and effort involved in commenting on proposals (lay reviewers) and
attendance at, and preparation for a panel or committee meetings (lay
members), provided the person is not in receipt of a full time salary from
public funds. The NIHR Central Commissioning Facility can also reimburse
travel, subsistence, childcare and carer costs where incurred. It is
important to know that these reimbursements are subject to National
Insurance and tax, and, where a lay reviewer or lay member is in receipt of
state benefits and/or allowances, it is important to be aware that such
benefits can be affected if payment is made, and to seek advice from the
relevant advisory body or consumer organisation.

How can I get involved?

If you would like to register your interest in getting involved in the
commissioning or review process for NIHR-CCF programmes please follow this
link.

National advisory group - INVOLVE

INVOLVE promotes and supports public involvement in NHS, public health and
social care research and development. It is an NIHR programme. Further
details can be found on the INVOLVE website at www.invo.org.uk.

Archives and tools are located at: