From: "Emma Rowlett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 4:40 PM
Subject: Terminology: disabled students v students with disabilities?

Apologies for cross posting...

When I started at University in 1999 the common term in use was
'students with disabilities' (e.g. NUS SWD Officer) and I was told
that the idea behind this was putting the 'student' first (I don't
remember who told me this!). I know there has been a move away from
this in many places as "it implies that we ‘own’ the disability, while
it is society which disables us" (according to Lorraine Gradwell in "A
rose by any other name…" -
http://www.healthmatters.org.uk/issue32/arose).

Do any of you know of any other literature about this, particularly
where 'students with disabilities' came from and why?  Anything that
references disabled people versus people with disabilities is also
useful. I need to write about this in my thesis, but I also co-edit
the "Students with Disabilities Series" in MSOR Connections and I am
considering making a case for changing the name.

Also, if you have any opinions about the two terms I'd like to hear from
you.

Thanks,

Emma

--