Jim

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Giles, Kevin
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 8:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Firm selling data for years

I was at the ICO's conference in Manchester on Wednesday and they were
discussing their new powers there. Scariest one is the voluntary
notification of breaches which seems to have moved the goal-posts
considerably. When it was launched last year the ICO said that they would
not use voluntary notification as a way to beat down transgressors but would
look to provide them with help to overcome the problem and guidance to go
forward. Now the Info Security team are saying that they will investigate
all breaches and take action against severe breaches regardless and, once
the new powers under the C&J Act come in, they will look to hefty fines and
prison sentences where they consider it appropriate.

Hands up now, who wants to voluntarily notify a breach under such
conditions?????

Kevin Giles

Information Compliance Advisor

The Glasgow Housing Association Ltd