Oliver.  Are you prepared for the consequences of your attempts to destabilise the one, single chance we have to get an agreement in Copenhagen?  Tom

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Oliver Tickell [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 March 2009 15:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: C&C - the real deal?

Tom, if you have read my critique of C&C in Kyoto2 you will know already why I am not going to back C&C as the answer. I see the objective as sound - contraction, and convergence, to zero emissions is where we should be going. I just don't see formal C&C as a very good way of getting there.

It so happens that you can read about it in an article published in The Land, now on the website - see http://www.kyoto2.org/page167.pdf , effectively an extract from the book.

One point I maybe did not emphasise sufficiently is the importance of a multi-pronged approach, with a long term secure carbon price, spending / investment, and direct regulation. By supplementing the carbon price signal in this way, you can achieve your objective without the need for a very high carbon price, by dealing with 'recalcitrant' carbon-emitting sectors by other means, so keeping the carbon price down in sensitive areas like heating bills - until of course we decarbonise altogether.

Cheers, Oliver, Kyoto2.