Maybe now is a good time to revisit Ted Trainer's books of the 1980s
and 1990s, e.g. The Conserver Society, and his work since them:
http://ssis.arts.unsw.edu.au/tsw/

They are still highly relevant.

Tom

At 11:12 30/03/2009, Torsten Mark Kowal wrote:
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sanjay-khanna/pessimists-die-quickly-gu_b_177808.html
>

><http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sanjay-khanna/pessimists-die-quickly-gu_b_177808.html>"Pessimists
>Die Quickly" (Gulp)
>
><http://blog.wired.com/sterling/profile.html>Bruce Sterling, sci-fi
>author, essayist,
><http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20090318/product-panic-2009>design
>thinker, and one of the founders of cyberpunk, delivered a closing
>keynote at the South by Southwest
><http://sxsw.com/interactive>Interactive Festival (a.k.a. SXSWi),
>the jewel in the crown of U.S. grassroots tech bashes held annually
>in Austin, Texas.
>
>He said, "In times of real trouble like today, pessimists die quickly."
>
>Sterling's pithy quote, picked up via Twitter
>(<http://twitter.com/Mickipedia>Mickipedia), raises the salient
>issue of what might constitute a meaningful optimism, given the
>tectonic shifts that are undermining the world and the planet we know.
>
>"In  times of real trouble like today." Scientists and economists
>are prone to conservatism. According to the March emergency summit
>in Copenhagen, Denmark, 2,500 climate experts agreed that climate
>change might surpass the worst-case scenarios outlined in the 2007
>report issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
>(IPCC). At the same event,
><http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/mar/13/stern-attacks-politicians-climate-change>Sir
>Nicholas Stern, economist and author of The Stern Review on the
>Economics of Climate Change, said he had "underestimated the climate
>crisis." As a writer, it's safe for me to go out on a limb and
>project that climate change will continue to exceed worst-case
>scenarios. Here's why: Scientists measuring the retreat of ice cover
>in the Arctic and West Antarctic are discovering new mechanisms that
>accelerate climate change almost every year. Furthermore, incomplete
>climate models are also contributing to the pace of climate change
>being continuously underestimated.
>
>Despite time running down on the climate front, the economic crisis,
>not the climate crisis, remains at the center of government agendas
>around the world. This is based on the premise that governments need
>to reignite economic growth to recoup the trillions lost so they can
>eventually get around to making climate change the priority. In the
>midst of this, many governments want to institute a new Kyoto-style
>cap-and-trade mechanism as a key part of mitigating climate change.
>But as <http://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/jhansen.html>James E. Hansen,
>leading climate scientist and director of NASA's Goddard Institute
>for Space Studies, has
><http://www.columbia.edu/%7Ejeh1/mailings/2009/20090226_WayAndMeans.pdf>pointed
>out, "The worst thing about cap-and-trade, from a climate
>standpoint, is that it will surely be inadequate to achieve the
> [...]

Tom Barker BSc, PhD
SWIMMER (Institute for Sustainable Water, Integrated Management, and
Ecosystem Research)
Nicholson Building
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
L69 3GP

0151 795 4646

See The Age of Stupid (at FACT, Liverpool, and elsewhere now)
http://www.ageofstupid.net/ and support Contraction and Convergence -
the global response to climate change
<http://www.gci.org.uk/briefings/ICE.pdf>http://www.gci.org.uk/briefings/ICE.pdf