On Tuesday 24 March 2009 12:20:17 Mischa Machius wrote:
> Having dealt with quite a few cases of more than one molecule in the
> AU (including a couple of dreaded 12-meric assemblies... bleah), I am
> still looking for the best way to identify proper NCS operators for
> the myriad of potential combinations of fragments.
>
> As has been said, it is generally worthwhile to identify the
> equivalent portions of the molecules and appropriate NCS weights, not
> only for potentially finding something interesting in terms of
> biology, but also for doing the best possible refinement job.
>
> I therefore wish there were better tools for this purpose. Overall, I
> think this area has not received proper attention yet. But it should,
> because I have the feeling that the impact of a great set of tools
> would be immense.

The problem can be mitigated enormously by parameterizing the
NCS restraints in terms of torsion angles rather than coordinate
transforms. This is what shelx does, and it works a fair treat.

The point is that is this representation the deviation from NCS
caused by an ideal hinge motion shows up only in the handful of
torsions corresponding to the hinge point.  This means that atoms
remote from the hinge point can still adhere closely to the NCS
restraint even though there is no single NCS operation that will
superimpose them.

	Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt