Jacob,
Just for the fun, and for historical exactness...
I would rather invoke Laplace for such an argumentation, whereas
Poincaré should better be invoked for a very strong warning against it.
Therefore, ignoring the warning and following Laplace, we could even
readily extend your suggestion from  back-calculating the images to
solving the corresponding structures (and thus also writing the
corresponding  papers). And write "The End"  (as nauseam, of course ::))

Philippe Dumas