Dear Tassos,

Your assumptions are right, if (1) your dn/dc is accurate, or (2) your
machine is calibrated. We recently measured a protein of a similar size
to yours, and when a 700 Da ligand was added to the buffer, the measured
protein mass was increased accordingly. So MALS can be pretty accurate.
For our dn/dc, for pure proteins, we always use 0.185 (not 0.19). For
sugar groups, we assume a dn/dc of 0.14, and estimate a mass-averaged
value for the glycoprotein (usually somewhere between 0.175 to 0.18).
For DNA and RNA, the values will be different, again.

You may also realize that by changing a simple calibration constant, you
can modify your measured molar masses anyway you want. It may be time
for a recalibration (it is not difficult, you can do it yourself). We
tend to regularly run BSA, and see if everything is as expected with our
equipment.

Good luck,

Engin