From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George
M. Sheldrick
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] fake images

After consultation with Ton Spek, I should correct my last email.
It turns out that my 'watermark' was not clever enough, because
PLATON - his program used to make the picture that I had randomly
picked as an example - can emulate the XP watermark (the way of
shading the ellipsoids which I intended to be different from the
'genuine ORTEP') rather well, and had indeed done so in
the picture in question. However it is technically an 'ORTEP
clone' (like XP), not an 'XP clone'. I am using 'clone' to mean
that one has intentionally created the 'same look and feel' as
an existing program, not to imply that the same code is used.

This shows how difficult it will be for James to include an
unforgeable 'watermark' in his calculated frames, though I would
still encourage him to try. Being able to emulate the experiment
so well is wonderful for debugging the programs used to process
the frames, but it will surely make fraud more difficult to
detect!