RAIN 20090228

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to records and archives management.

Legendary truth-seeker, myth-buster honored at retirement bash
Reno Gazette Journal - Reno,NV,USA
He also said that New Hampshire and Maryland were the only states whose
archivists served longer. Careful, Harry. If you're wrong you can count on
hearing ...
<http://www.rgj.com/article/20090227/CARSON/902270312/1003>

Matters to Contemplate: Archivist's passion for truth in history ...
Reno Gazette Journal - Reno,NV,USA
For nearly two decades, I've relied on Nevada State Archivist Guy Rocha to
help me obtain accurate information regarding Nevada history. ...
<http://www.rgj.com/article/20090227/MVN08/902270363/1309/MVN>

Oregon State U. Releases Photo Collections to Flickr Commons
Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) - USA
In an effort to broaden access to its image archives, Oregon State
University has become the first university to join Flickr Commons, a
section of the ...
<http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/3636/oregon-state-u-releases-photo-collections-to-flikr-commons>

DC Circuit Delivers High-Cost EDD Lesson
Law.com - San Francisco,CA,USA
During discovery, three individual defendants who were senior executives at
Fannie Mae subpoenaed nonparty OFHEO, pursuant to FRCP 45(c)(2)(B)(ii), ...
<http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1202428590930>

Court: Va. man owns 1776 copy of Declaration
The Associated Press
Maine contended the document never should have been sold because of a state
law which presumes that public documents remain public property unless
ownership ...
<http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5inx9h3p2xLtbEgWdQX3CGw-5VFnAD96K153G0>

Historic documents being moved from WW2 bunker
Otago Daily Times - Dunedin,New Zealand
Files remaining in the bunker were mostly mining registration files from
1899 to 1973. Mr Braden said there was quite a lot of interest in the files
from ...
<http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/45474/historic-documents-being-moved-ww2-bunker>

$22M slated for JFK Library work
Boston Herald - United States
The report said the storage problems at the Kennedy Library are among the
worst in the presidential library system. “It was so bad we had to move
much of ...
<http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/2009_02_27__22M_slated_for_JFK_Library_work/>

Clarke archivist says history is far from a done deal
Central Michigan Life - Mt. Pleasant,MI,USA
Today, Boles works as a professional archivist and helps construct exhibits
and bring in funding for the Clarke. Timothy Hall, history department
chairman, ...
<http://www.cm-life.com/news/2009/02/27/News/Clarke.Archivist.Says.History.Is.Far.From.A.Done.Deal-3652512.shtml>

Top Andrews Airmen recognized by archive
Capital Flyer - Morningside,MD,USA
The National Archives takes ownership of each outgoing administration’s
artifacts at noon on Inauguration Day. ‘‘These historical materials
must be moved as ...
<http://www.capflyer.com/stories/022609/andrews_20090226002.shtml>

Planet hidden in Hubble archives
Science News - USA
“The first thing it tells you is how valuable maintaining long-term
archives can be. Here is a major discovery that’s been lurking in the
data for about 10 ...
<http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/41302/title/Planet_hidden_in_Hubble_archives>

Trying to save the images of Texas
Austin 360 - Austin,TX,USA
For Frick, founder and executive director of the nonprofit Texas Archive of
the Moving Image, "American film also means film from all 50 states. ...
<http://www.austin360.com/movies/content/movies/stories/2009/03/0301tami.html>

Eric Auchard is a Reuters columnist. The opinions expressed are ...
guardian.co.uk - UK
"We're doing our best to find a solution to include as much of the acquired
content as possible," a Google spokesman says of the newspaper archive ...
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8378964>

Maine loses bid to get copy of independence declaration
Central Maine Morning Sentinel - Augusta,ME,USA
State archivists tracked the document to Virginia, but didn't know the name
of the owner. Under Maine law, all public documents are considered public
<http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/6005083.html>

Newspaper appeals ruling over NV governor's e-mail
MSNBC - USA
... Judge Todd Russell's order last month that Gibbons turn over only six
of 104 e-mails requested by the newspaper under the state's public records
law. ...<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29431607/>

Paperless office? Ha! How about a paperless life?
Computerworld - Framingham,MA,USA
... The invention of the PC was supposed to usher in the "paperless
office," a completely digital workplace without paper memos, forms, files
or records. ...
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=&articleId=9128737&taxonomyId=&intsrc=kc_feat>

Decision Signed, Sealed: Fairfax Man Owns Rare 1776 Copy of ...
Washington Post - United States
"We were certainly surprised by the verdict," said Cheever, Maine's state
archivist. He said the case only inflames a sense in Maine that too much of
its ...
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022702956.html?hpid=moreheadlines>

Photo Negative
New York Times - United States
But the home page for the archive has little charm, and the categories
assigned to what are presumably the most exciting photographic subjects
(“people,” ...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/magazine/01wwln-medium-t.html?ref=magazine>

LOOKING AT LOST HISTORIES
Calcutta Telegraph - Calcutta,India
And with the inevitable disposal of cabinet-size prints, cartes-de-visite,
and later, prints from glass-plate negatives and those of the early 20th
century ...
<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090301/jsp/opinion/story_10595559.jsp>

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA