Bedfordshire County Council will be abolished on 31 March. Its duties are being shared out between Central Bedfordshire - a new unitary authority formed by the abolition of Mid and South Bedfordshire District Councils - and by the existing Bedford Borough Council, which becomes a unitary.

It has been agreed that the archives and records management service provided by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service will remain a pan-Bedfordshire service (unfortunately, unlike Cheshire, we have yet to be allowed to adopt a shorter name). We will be funded by all three Bedfordshire unitaries - Luton went unitary in 1997 and has had a partnership agreement with Beds CC for the provision of our services ever since - but we will be hosted by Bedford Borough Council.

We believe that telephone numbers will remain the same - 01234 228833 for our general office enquiries.

Our e-mail address will change to [log in to unmask] .

Our postal address will change from County Hall to Borough Hall, i.e. Bedfordshire & Luton Archives, Riverside Building, Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford, MK42 9AP, from the 1st of April.

Our web address will be www.bedford.gov.uk/archive

One further change, our county archivist, Kevin Ward, has accepted a position with Central Bedfordshire and will therefore be leaving us, although he will remain our liaison with Central Bedfordshire over the joint arrangement. We will therefore not have a county archivist and at the moment there seems no prospect of him being replaced.

We would be grateful if you could update any records you have and advise people accordingly.

Pamela Birch
Conservator, Premises & Projects Officer
Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service.

We are open Monday 9am-7pm, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday 9 am - 5 pm. Closed -Thursday.

For more information or to search our catalogues browse our website at www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/archive (yes this will be changing too but  will work for the time being).

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer. Any modification of the contents of this email is strictly prohibited unless expressly authorised by the sender.
Save energy, money and the environment - is it necessary to print this message?