From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mays, Nick
Sent: 19 March 2009 10:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Digital Photography in search rooms

Dear list members,

We are beginning to get requests from researchers to be allowed to make digital photographs of documents they are using in our search room rather than be provided with photocopies.  Strangely I have never had to deal with a request for a film camera to be used in the search room and I can only assume it must have been due to practicality and cost.  The principal issues seem to be permissibility, quantity of images made, ownership of copyright of the image, loss of control of usage beyond provision for reference use only and charging.  With photocopies we, like most repositories, stamp the copies with a statement that they are provided for reference purposes only and that permission is necessary for reproduction or publication.  Obviously this is not possible with digital photographs.  I was wondering how other repositories have reacted to these requests and what policies and agreement forms have been drawn up where digital photography is permitted.

Your views and advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Nick Mays

Nicholas Mays

Archivist

News International Limited

1 Virginia Street

London E98 1ES

United Kingdom

Tel:  +44 (0)20 7782 6890

Fax:  +44 (0)20 7782 3967

"Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail"

The Newspaper Marketing Agency:  Opening Up Newspapers:

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error, notify the sender immediately. Do not use, disseminate, store or copy it in any way. Statements or opinions in this e-mail or any attachment are those of the author and are not necessarily agreed or authorised by News International (NI). NI Group may monitor emails sent or received for operational or business reasons as permitted by law. NI Group accepts no liability for viruses introduced by this e-mail or attachments. You should employ virus checking software. News International Limited, 1 Virginia St, London E98 1XY, is the holding company for the News International group and is registered in England No 81701

This email has been scanned on behalf of NMSI for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.