Years ago, I put some stalks of Linum perenne together with outher garden rubbish into the
shredder. I took me hours to clean the shredder knives from strong Linum fibres!
I did it never again! Iron Age Linum stems look like L. perenne (have a look at Körber-
Grohne, Geobotanische Untersuchungen auf der Feddersen Feddersen Wierde, 1967 [the
figures and plates are in any language]. I can make some copies or pdfs.

Am 3 Mar 2009 um 10:46 hat Smith, Alexia geschrieben:

> Hi there,
>
> I just received the following question from a colleague:
>
> "Do wild species of flax like Linum bienne grow a thick/tall enough stalk (bast fiber) to be spun?"
>
> I believe they do but promised that I would check here. Does anyone have any
> suggestions/references that I could send to her?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Alexia
>

> Alexia Smith
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> University of Connecticut
> Beach Hall 406, U-2176
> 354 Mansfield Road
> Storrs, CT 06269-2176
> Tel: (860) 486-4264
> Fax: (860) 486-1719

"-- "
Dr. Helmut Kroll
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte der Universität,  24098 Kiel
Tel. 0431 880-3654; - 2338; Fax -7300
Mail [log in to unmask]