SCIENTIFIC STATISTICIAN

BIOMATHEMATICS AND BIOINFORMATICS DEPARTMENT

A postdoctoral scientist is required within the Biomathematics and Bioinformatics Department (BAB) to work as a scientific statistician. BAB was created to promote quantitative biology and inter-disciplinary research within Rothamsted Research. We research and develop mathematical, statistical and computational solutions to biological problems at all levels of biological scale. Novel approaches to the integration and interpretation of complex and noisy datasets are also of interest.

The Statistics Group within BAB is active in statistical collaboration, consulting, training and research associated with all areas of Rothamsted science. Historically, our scientific collaborations have been mainly associated with analysis of field data; currently much of our time is spent working with 'omics data arising in the laboratory. This reflects a wider change in emphasis in research at Rothamsted and this post will be working with laboratory scientists in the high profile areas of biological chemistry and plant pathology. There may also be opportunities to work with scientists on development of bio-energy crops.

The successful applicant will act as first point of contact for these scientists and develop an area of expertise by building up long-term collaborations. This post gives an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the application of statistics to contemporary biological sciences including molecular genetics, genomics and systems biology. The post-holder will also be involved in the development and delivery of statistical courses to scientists and PhD students.

A broad working knowledge of applied statistics is required; experience related to the plant sciences would be an advantage. Knowledge of the GenStat statistical package is not required, but would also be an advantage.

The appointment is of indefinite duration and will be made at either Band D-PD (starting salary in the range £26,088 to £28,986) or band E-SPD (starting salary in the range £33,118 to £36,798 p.a.) depending upon qualifications and experience.

Apply by application form only, available with further particulars from our website www.rothamsted.ac.uk or from the HR Group, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts, AL5 2JQ, [log in to unmask]  Please quote reference 1069.

Closing date: 3 April 2009

Sue Welham
Biomathematics and Bioinformatics
Rothamsted Research
Harpenden UK AL5 2JQ

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel: +44 (0)1582 763133 ext 2278
Fax: +44 (0)1582 760981

Web: http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/

Rothamsted Research is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England at the above address under the registration number 2393175 and a not for profit charity number 802038. 38.