Dear all,

On Wednesday 29th April, the RSS Leeds/Bradford local group will be hosting a talk on "statistics
and physics" by Vlatko Vedral (University of Leeds).

Further details can be found on our webpage:

http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/statistics/rss/archive/previous_2009.html#PHYSICS

All welcome!

Regards, Paul
Dr. Paul D. Baxter
Secretary/Treasurer, RSS Leeds/Bradford Local Group,
Department of Statistics, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK.
Leeds/Bradford: Wednesday 29 April, 4.00pm, Leeds University.

Statistics and physics

Vlatko Vedral (University of Leeds).

Children of the aimless chance: quantum physics and life

In my talk I will discuss the basic tenets of quantum physics, our most accurate description of
Nature. On the one hand will be the intrinsic randomness of measurements, while, on the other, we
have the apparent determinisim of quantum dynamics. The bizarre implications of quantum physics,
such as being in two places at the same time, will be illustrated with up-to-date experiments from
different "walks of physics". The very counter-intuitive nature of quantum physics, however, offers
us a chance to make a much more efficient piece of technology - the quantum computer. Finally I will
speculate on whether (yet again!) Nature got there before us: are living systems, in other words,
already utilising quantum computation to optimize certain processes?

The meeting will be held at Leeds University’s Roger Stevens Building in RSLT 10, starting at
4.00pm. Refreshments will be available from 3.30pm in the foyer of level 9 of the School of Mathematics.