Dear list,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query, it was really helpful.

A summary of responses:

Everyone who responded said that it was very much valid to statistically
test for interactions if one of the main effects was non-significant (this
was the basis of my initial query - just the naive idea that it might not be
ok for some reason)

Several cited the case (which is also the case in my data), where the main
effect of var1 is significant in the presence of sex only.  This is because
the effect of var1 is positive for girls and negative for boys and so when
the  sex-adjusted main effect is tested with no interaction these
correlations cancel each other out.

A second suggestion which also came up referred to the possibility that an
adjusted main effect could be nonsignificant, but the interaction would
highlight that the association was significant for one group but not the
other.

However, perhaps the most important responses for me highlighted that
implicit in my question was that I was basing a decision of what to test in
my analysis based on the statistical significance or not of a coefficient.
All three respondents who raised this pointed out the dangers of this and
emphasised the importance of making analytical decisions based on logical
and / or theoretical concerns.

So thanks to everyone for your thoughts, I hope I've done justice to your

Jamie

--
Dept. of Geography, Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Rd

Tel: 020 7882 5400