Statistical Methods for the Analysis of Network Data in Practice

University College Dublin
June 15th to 17th, 2009

http://mathsci.ucd.ie/~brendan/networks.html

Overview:

Many modern data analysis problems involve large data sets from
social, biological and other networks. In these settings, traditional
modeling assumptions are inappropriate; the analysis of these data
must take into account the structure of relationships between the
entities being measured. In fact, in many applications, the
relationships between entities is the subject of primary interest. As
a result, there has been increasing research developing techniques for
incorporating network structures in statistics and more widely.

Network modeling is an active area of research in several domains
including computer science, statistics and physics. This workshop
focuses on probabilistic methods for network analysis, paying special
attention to model design and computational issues of model fitting
and inference. We are bringing together statistical network modeling
researchers from different communities, thereby fostering
collaborations and intellectual exchange. Our hope is that this will
result in novel modeling approaches, diverse applications, and new
research directions.

Call for Papers:

We are interested in receiving abstract submissions for presentations
at this workshop; the workshop will have oral presentations and a
poster session.

Of particular interest are papers that:
* introduce new network models or apply established models to novel
domains;
* explore computational issues in network modeling;
* discuss shortcomings of current network modeling approaches and
propose new directions for research.

We encourage authors to emphasize the probabilistic modeling aspect of
their work and its relevance to the application domains under
consideration.

Abstract submissions should be limited to one page. Please email your
submissions to [log in to unmask]

Deadline for Abstract Submissions: Friday, April 3rd, 2009.
Notification of Decision: Friday, April 10th, 2009.

Conference webpage: http://mathsci.ucd.ie/~brendan/networks.html