Dear colleague,

9 days left to book

Making Sense of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Student Learning Experiences: stories from BME students in a Northeast University

University of Teesside

27th March 11am – 2.45pm

The Higher Education Academy and University of Teesside would like to invite you to the above research seminar, which is part of Research Seminar Series 2009: Access and Success for All.  Details of the Series are available at: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/ourwork/learning/national_research_seminar

Details of the above seminar including abstract, speakers and bookings are available at: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/detail/RSS_Teeside_270309 I have attached a publicity poster for ease of circulation.

32 free places are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To book a place, please email Jeanette Crosby at [log in to unmask]  directly.

The following is the poster text:

Making Sense of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Student Learning Experiences: stories from BME students in a Northeast University

University of Teesside, G13, Phoenix Building Middlesbrough, Tees Valley, TS1 3BA

Friday 27 March 2009, 11:00 – 14:45 (lunch included)

This seminar will report on the findings from research on retention and student experience at Teesside.  The project involved listening to the accounts of University life and learning from BME students and the findings identify some concerns for BME students whilst also highlighting some more general issues in relation to the contemporary student experience.

This seminar will explore what BME students say about their experience of study, and discuss ideas for engaging and supporting them in the future. We will also suggest ways to engage with non-traditional students in general more effectively.

Speakers:

Shamila Ahmed, Researcher

Diane Nutt, Learning and Teaching Consultant and Head of the Student Retention Team

Jayne Tidd, Senior Lecturer, Researched Informed Teaching

Bookings: Please email bookings to Jeanette Crosby

35 places available on first-come, first-served basis.

Regards,

Samantha

On behalf of the Inclusion Team

Tel. +44 (0) 1904 717500

Fax. +44 (0) 1904 717505

Email: [log in to unmask]

The Higher Education Academy

Innovation Way

York Science Park

Heslington

York

YO10 5BR

www.heacademy.ac.uk

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131