Hi all

I sent something directly to Fehmeeda earlier but as there’s obvious interest it will be interesting to discuss it on here.

It is best to record disability related sickness separately as the absence may be part of a reasonable adjustment (ongoing treatment which is necessary to keep the employee in work) or it may be sickness or absence related to a disability because a reasonable adjustment is being made or has not been made.  If it is absence related to the disability it is not  appropriate to add it to general sick leave recording as the disabled person may then face discrimination related to their disability.  In if it not recorded separately then HR absence management triggers may come into play which can cause stress to the disabled employee and could be deemed as treating them ‘less favourably’. This is one of those occasions where ‘even if where that involves treating disabled persons more favourably than other persons’ kicks in.  Bearing in mind that this is about keeping people actively in work as I feel there can be an HR mindset that doesn’t appreciate that this is what this legislation is trying to do.

I think the better solution is to have a separate disability leave policy which would encompass leave required as part of reasonable adjustments. If not then at the very least we should be noting these absences separately to avoid inappropriate triggers and not recording them separately could be deemed unlawful.

Kind regards

Tammy

Tammy Rich | Diversity and Equality

Diversity and Equality Unit | Kingston University | 53 Portland Road | Kingston | KT1 2SH