From: Jonathan Middle [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 March 2009 15:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Progesterone levels in PUL

Hi

Current immunoassay methods do not agree with one another, yet manufacturers may claim that they are all  standardised using GCMS.  Whether they are metrologically traceable to a certified progesterone standard depends on which elements of the traceability chain they have employed in the process.  Furthermore, if analytical specificity is not optimal, then traceability is not possible and results will not be comparable.

There is only one way properly to assess these methods.

Create a panel of off-the-clot, single donation, unprocessed, native human sera with a range of endogenous progesterone values; have their progesterone concentrations assigned by ID-GCMS by a member of the steroid reference laboratory network; run a spit sample comparison with the method in question.  If the slope is 1.0 then the method is correctly calibrated. If the scatter about the regression line is small, specificity is adequate.  If the intercept is small, baseline security is good.

When I have done this with a limited number of UK NEQAS pools, it is possible to see clear method differences.  My last exercise (published in my 2008 Annual review) is attached.

I do not distribute pregnancy sera with high levels, but the following data may also be helpful:

At distribution 348 I distributed a pool with an ALTM of  40.7 nmol/L (CV 10.9%)
The overall range of results (excluding outliers) was 25 - 58 nmol/L

Trimmed method means were:
Siemens Immulite 2000/2500:  33.0 nmol/L (n=34, CV 8.2%)
Roche Elecsys/E170 Modular: 38.9 nmol/L (n=83, CV 5.7%)
Abbott Architect: 40.9 nmol/L (n=54, CV=4.9%)
Siemens ADVIA Centaur: 44.0 nmol/L (n=82, CV=6.7%)
Beckman Access: 47.0 nmol/L (n=26, CV=10.6)

This shows that any clinical cut offs must be made method-specific or mis-classification may occur.

I had a poster on progesterone interpretation at Focus2007 - see attachment - which showed what labs were doing in terms of use of progesterone in assessment of fertility.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Dr Jonathan Middle
Deputy Director, Birmingham Quality (UK NEQAS)
Organiser UK NEQAS for Steroid Hormones
0121 414 7300, fax 0121 414 1179