I agree that they are very useful but need policing carefully.

We too have a Physio Practitioner working in clinic with us - and I consider that controlled and planned review by senior doctors offers good patient care.

I am concerned that the dismissal of our role in follow-up or soft tissue clinics is simply a demonstration of a worrying developing attitude in some quarters of our speciality – that EM is all about Acute medicine - and the walking (“minor”) case-load is less important – managed by ENPs!)

 I have seen enough so-called “minor” patients  maimed by inexperienced doctors in our departments to believe it essential that there is senior involvement –  in the department wherever possible – and in early follow-up. I also feel that there are many patients who do not fit into other in-patient specialities areas – eg in my hospital we run the OP burns service.

(On the down-side there is always going to be a temptation for the clinic to be used as the repository for the diagnostically destitute patient – to quote someone I once knew!)

Mark P

It would be a sad day if we lost Review Clinics!

They need to be very carefully regulated and policed as to what is brought back – if this occurs, they are actually very rewarding for clinician and patient alike. Juniors should know that if they bring back chronic diarrhoea or back pain then they will be on permanent nights!!

We have joint clinics (no pun intended) with a Physio Practitioner. The major outcome is that large joint injuries get early access to expert advice and do not clog up Ortho clinics. The patients don’t have lengthy waits for physio and get a thorough examination of their joint at an early stage to rule out severe pathology – this isn’t possible when they first present to the department due to pain. They are therefore getting a swift quality service. Could this be done elsewhere? Not without a major upheaval in service delivery.

We try to operate a one-appointment-then-discharge-or-refer system to limit the amount of returns thereafter. In addition, we get a tariff for these attendances from our PCT so it isn’t charity work.

I remember witnessing a large University hospital department in another region halting all clinics. The result was that patients voluntarily re-presented at all hours of the day and had to wait all over again to be seen by a junior doctor who still hadn’t a clue. Simple fact – knee injury that needs an MRI is best organised by a consultant in a morning in a controlled manner rather than never being considered by a junior late evening!! As has been mentioned in another email – we could just send all of these patients to Ortho Clinic but then they would become overbooked and we would be regressing to being a sign-posting specialty.

In summary, Review Clinics are good but only if there are strict criteria for what is eligible.