On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 10:25 -0500, Mark Weiss wrote:
> There are framers who are truly artists, but most frames are very
> easy to make.

I am very lucky that a framing studio exists within walking distance of
the rural town I live in. I do not have the skills nor the ability to
cut custom matts and make custom frames, as this framing studio does. So
relatively speaking, given the costs of learning,materials et al, $100
for a standard single custom frame is not that great a cost. Wood,
museum rag board and non-reflective glass purchased retail by myself
would match or even exceed what a framing studio can offer, as well.
These materials are costly.

Triptych are different and far more costly being three 14x14 inch
monochrome selenium toned prints with roughly a three inch matt. No way
do I have, nor can I acquire, the sort of skill needed for this sort of
frame. Triptych are not just any three prints thrown together but a
complex interactive haptic space and are horrendously difficult and can
drain energy from you at a rather too fast rate. Being limited by costs
to two triptych frames, some 56 by 22 inches, with matt, could be seen
as a kind mercy on behalf of the framer.  Perhaps somewhat ironic but
irony aside, best wishes, Chris Jones.

(PS The material costs of the prints alone exceeds $100, according to
the quick sums I have done.)