Kirsty -- We have a few horse bones from ca. 400 AD at Vindolanda, and it
isn't rare in this collection to find pathologies of various sorts. I
can't tell you sitting here in California exactly what we might have,
because I haven't surveyed the collection with this particular need in
mind. However, I will be on site during August & September of this year,
and will be glad to check for you then. What would really work is if you
would think to EMail me sometime between Aug. 30 and Sept. 10th, which
will prod me to remember to do it. If I then find what you need, I can
pull it out and set it aside for you, and then you can write Andy Birley
and it will probably be OK for you to come there and look at the stuff.
The problem we have at Vindo. is tight storage space for the bone
collection, so that everything once it's cataloged goes into boxes -- I
know where everything is squirreled away so it's much easier on the rest
of the staff if I'm on site when something needs to be located. All you
zooarchers can pray to the gods of museum funding that an angel will
descend on us with a load of money for specimen cans (cases with drawers)
-- and a building on site to put 'em in. Cheers -- Dr. Deb