Folks,

Having spent nearly two years working with SA3 and JRA1 on stress-
testing the WMS, I'd be the first to say that it isn't perfect.

Even now, with all of the experience I've gained, I find that the
WMS can sometimes get itself into a state where only the most brutal of
interventions is enough to save the day. Unfortunately, this can also
lead to jobs being lost, and this is obviously unacceptable.

Having said that, we are in a much better position than we were
even twelve months ago, especially in respect of bulk submission.

Returning to my original question, the one point that stood out for
me was Martin's figures for CPU power and memory. The existing
WMS can be astonishingly demanding on processor and memory
(insofar as I can see, it will take as much as you give it), and
this is at least part of the key to keeping the middleware happy.

I'm aiming (resources permitting) to go with something like the
following:

WMS

500GB drive
16GB RAM
Dual quad-core Intel Xeon at 3GHz

LB

500GB drive
8GB RAM
Single quad-core Intel Xeon at 3GHz

I'm also installing a CREAM CE, where the pilot studies suggest that
the following should be adequate:

500GB drive
8GB RAM
Dual quad-core Intel Xeon at 3GHz