Dear Jan,

Having had a quick look, I have to say that, with the very greatest of
respect, the specifications for a machine handling 40,000 jobs a day
seem very modest in the light of my experiences.

The key, as you rightly point out, is that as the database size grows,
so do the memory requirements.

Section 2.2.11 (tuning the databse engine) is very useful and I would urge
anyone installing an LB to have a careful look at this.

Thanks and best wishes,

Barry.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Jan Pospisil wrote:

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:03:08 +0100 (CET)
> From: Jan Pospisil <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Dr Barry MacEvoy <[log in to unmask]>
> Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
> Subject: Re: Specs for latest WMS & LB
>
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, at 11:04 -0000, Dr Barry MacEvoy wrote:
>
>> What are the recommended machine specs for the latest WMS & LB
>> (i.e. the versions in certification) if you want to get the VERY
>> BEST out of the middleware under heavy load?
>
> The answer depends on the estimated number of jobs. I suggest you read the
> section 2.2.1 Hardware requirements of the LB Administrator's Guide that is
> available for example here:
>
> http://egee.cesnet.cz/cvsweb/LB/LBAG.pdf
>
> Jan
>
> --
> Jan Pospisil, Ph.D.           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> University of West Bohemia    phone:  (+420) 37763-2675
> Department of Mathematics     fax:    (+420) 37763-2602
> Plzen, Czech Republic         address: Univerzitni 22, 306 14

Dr Barry MacEvoy
High Energy Physics Group
Imperial College London
Blackett Laboratory