The first error message is

   fatal: Needed a single revision
   Unable to find current revision in submodule path 'thirdparty/eso/
skycat/skycat'

all others stem from this. The update-modules script fails to retrieve
the submodules so you don't actually have much code in thirdparty/ to
use for a build.

What version of git are you using again? You need at least git 1.5.3
to use submodules.

I've just done a test checkout from scratch (rather than updating an
existing one) with git1.6.1.3 and the ./update-modules script ran
fine, checking out all the submodules.

Tim

--
Tim Jenness