This is almost certainly true. In accounts of James Murray and the original
NED/OED project, it's clear that he relied on an international network of
amateur reader/contributors (including the madman so wonderfully described
in *The Madman and the Professor*). Consider what these contributors are
likely to have had access to -- not, surely, obscure pamphlets and rare
books found only in a few libraries in the world, but "big name authors," or
at least those available in nineteenth century editions.

By the way, would anyone like to join me in encouraging Anne to write the
book on Milton's genius, *Killing the Chicken*?
Hannibal

--
Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English