Hi Joanna,

Not sure if this is exactly the sort of thing you were thinking of, but
at a conference I was at recently Ant Miller was extolling the virtues
of the Arduino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino) and the geeks were
all salivating. He can probably explain better but my understanding is
that it's a basic programmable electronic controller gizmo, which you
can play around with and make do all different stuff (e.g. switch the
lights in your house on by sending a message over the internet).

Ant's thinking was that today's programmers got into it by messing
around with BBC micros or ZX Spectrums as teenagers, and the Arduino
could similarly get kids into simple programming and electronics. Ant -
sorry if this isn't a good summary:-).

Hope this helps!

Sophia

Sophia Collins
Producer
I'm a Scientist - event site
www.imascientist.org.uk <http://www.imascientist.org.uk>
I'm a Scientist - project blog
imascientist.org.uk <http://imascientist.org.uk>
I'm a Councillor
www.bigvote.org.uk <http://www.bigvote.org.uk>

Gallomanor Communications Ltd.
01225 869413
31 Silver Street
Bradford on Avon
BA15 1JX
www.gallomanor.com <http://www.gallomanor.com>

Creating Community Conversations

Gallomanor Communications Ltd.
Registered in England & Wales, No. 03980700.
Registered Address: Duckmead Cottage, Farleigh Wick, Bradford-on-Avon,
BA15 2PU

Joanna Rooke wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to come up with a list of about 5 - 10 of the latest cool
> science/engineering type gadgets - things that would make good
> presents and cost no more than £500 (but more like £100).  It's for a
> possible TV feature.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or could suggest a place to start
> looking, that would be great - I've have a look at the Science Museum
> shop already.
>
> Thanks, Joanna
>
> *National Science and Engineering Week* (6-15 March 2009) is on its
> way... See what’s happening around the UK during the week, find out
> how you can help ‘Save our Bees’ and join in the Change Exchange at
> _http://www.nsew.org.uk_.
>
> *Joanna Rooke*
> *Manager of Regional Programmes*
> *British Science Association*
> *Wellcome Wolfson Building*
> *165 Queen's Gate *
> *London*
> *SW7 5HD
> T: +44 (0)20 7019 4953
> F: +44 (0)870 770 7102*
> *Website: **_www.britishscienceassociation.org_*
> <file://www.britishscienceassociation.org>
>
> *British Science Association is the operating name and registered
> trademark of the British Association for the Advancement of Science*
>
> *Registered charity no: 212479 and SCO39236
> *
> *Please consider the environment before printing this email*

> This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System
> on behalf of
> the British Science Association (http://www.britishscienceassociation.org)

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]