Apropos of nothing – and not picking on this one except as an excuse to chip in – what is a “senior management team”? Is it in some way different from the management team? Is there a junior management team?

We should all remember that “engagement with science” benefits greatly from the use of clear, concise and unambiguous language.

A recent discussion of language on the ABSW list, sparked off by someone claiming to have an event about “world-class science”, as if anyone would describe their research as anything else, came up with some gems:

“As an example, any story involving people stranded out to sea must describe the surrounding waters as "shark-infested".

“What threshold of sharks would qualify as an infestation? A hundred? Two? A dogfish and a belligerent tuna?”

There is another amusing one at the end of this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29167346/

Michael Kenward

ABSW e-minder

http://www.absw.org.uk