** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Dear all,

In addition to our seminar on Tuesday there will be one on Wednesday
25 February at 2pm by Di Mainstone entitled BodyScape. Details of both
seminars are below.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering
Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1
4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/
  as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control,
so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the
lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available,
anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from
outside Queen Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's
stuck outside the doors...

All are welcome to attend.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please
send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Wednesday's seminar (25 Feb 2pm):

Title:
BodyScape

Speaker:
Di Mainstone

Abstract:
Exploring the terrain between fashion, technology and interaction, Di
Mainstone will be discussing her evolution from established London-
based fashion designer to nomadic creator of interactive couture.
Focusing on a selection of her research projects created in Banff,
Montreal and Rotterdam, Di will explain some of the creative and
technical challenges of experimenting in this unique space.

Links to Di's work:
http://sharewear.projects.v2.nl
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7kc41dKjA1c
http://www.xslabs.net/skorpions
http://www.dimainstone.com

Bio:
Trained in fashion design at Central Saint Martins College of Art,
London, Di Mainstone creates playful adornments that roam the body
hiding and revealing tales that are close to her heart. Collaborating
with a range of artistic institutions, including the Banff New Media
Institute, XS Lab Montreal and most recently V2_, Institute for the
Unstable Media Rotterdam, she has been able to expand her research
practice simultaneously developing a diverse wardrobe of wearable
artifacts. A hands-on choreography of fashion, technology and
performance, each piece is an exploration of human behaviour. A quest
of discovery for those who inhabit their fibers and an alluring
curiosity for those who cohabit their space.  Di’s wearable
installations have been displayed internationally at conferences,
exhibitions and festivals. This has led to workshops and guest
lecturing at academic institutions including The Royal College of Art,
Central Saint Martins College of Art, NYU, Parsons, Emily Carr, Willem
de Kooning, UKD, MICA and Concordia University.

Tuesday's seminar (24 Feb 2.45pm):

Title:
Blind Source Separation for Real-World Speech Applications

Speaker:
Hiroshi Saruwatari
Nara Institute of Science and Technology

Abstract:
In this talk, I review blind source separation technology and its
recent current. Blind source separation (BSS) is an approach taken to
estimate original source signals using only observed signals without
knowing a priori information. Owing to the attractive feature of BSS,
much attention has been paid to BSS in many fields of signal
processing. In this talk, first, the basic principle of speech/
acoustic signal separation based on independent component analysis is
explained, and the recent research and development trends are shown.

Next, I can demonstrate our recently developed real-time BSS unit
which is one of the world's smallest BSS microphone miniaturized into
pocket-size hardware.

Finally, I show a hands-free spoken dialogue system with real-time BSS
used for real-world speech applications.

Tim Murray Browne

--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department