** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Dear all,

At 2.45pm on Tuesday 24 February, Hiroshi Saruwatari will present the
seminar Blind Source Separation for Real-World Speech Applications.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering
Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1
4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/research/seminars/
  as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control,
so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the
lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available,
anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from
outside Queen Mary's, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's
stuck outside the doors...

All are welcome to attend.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please
send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Next seminar:

Title:
Blind Source Separation for Real-World Speech Applications

Speaker:
Hiroshi Saruwatari
Nara Institute of Science and Technology

Abstract:
In this talk, I review blind source separation technology and its
recent current. Blind source separation (BSS) is an approach taken to
estimate original source signals using only observed signals without
knowing a priori information. Owing to the attractive feature of BSS,
much attention has been paid to BSS in many fields of signal
processing. In this talk, first, the basic principle of speech/
acoustic signal separation based on independent component analysis is
explained, and the recent research and development trends are shown.

Next, I can demonstrate our recently developed real-time BSS unit
which is one of the world's smallest BSS microphone miniaturized into
pocket-size hardware.

Finally, I show a hands-free spoken dialogue system with real-time BSS
used for real-world speech applications.

Tim Murray Browne

--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
Electronic Engineering Department