From: Phil Feller <[log in to unmask]>

> In addition to these, and the already reported Georgemas, the OED
reports Crouchmas (feast of the invention of the Cross), Ellenmas,
Hallowmas, Lukesmas, and Petermas.

i'm curious to know, Phil, how you found these.

my search of the on-line OED for *mas only yielded:

1 adamas
2 a merry Christmas   found in give, v.
3 at latter Lammas   found in Lammas, n.
4 baby-doll pyjamas   found in baby, n.
5 beach-pyjamas   found in beach, n.
6 camas, camash, cammas
7 Candlemas
8 Childermas
9 Christenmas
10 Christmas, n.

of which my favorite has to be "baby-doll-pyjams"

certainly "beach-pyjmas" may have been celebrated --probably secretly-- in
costal areas (presumably in conjuction with suchlike rites as "beach-blanket
bingo"), but i know of no firm evidence that any P.J. Mass was ever actually
said during the M.A.

(of course, i'm only familiar with the 12th c. French sources and i suppose it
may have been a common enough practice in the Fringe Areas, like Britain,
Nederland, etc.)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]