From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of jbugslag
Sent: Mon 02/02/2009 3:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 1. February

Conrad,
Are St Brigid's Crosses still actively being made these days?

The coinsidence of the death date with
> a major seasonal change has helped successive generations to continue
> and develop the celebration.

If, that is, it were a coincidence and not a case of syncretism.  If the date of Christ's death
could, essentially, have been fudged in the 4th century to coincide with an already
established "seasonal change", why not St Brigid?
Cheers,
Jim

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]