-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens George R. Hoelzeman
Verzonden: vrijdag 13 februari 2009 4:37
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: [M-R] Children's Tales

Here's something my 8 year old came up with, and I thought I'd see if anyone
has come across this particular tale.

She comes home from school with a reading book about Valentine's Day.  In
the course of the usual children's book type stuff, it purports to tell the
story of the
day's origins by telling the story of St. Valentine.

According to the book, Valentine was put in prison where he fell in love
with the jailer's daughter.  He then begins (and I quote) "writing mushy
love letters to her
from jail." and that is why there is a Valentine's day.

So, I start looking things up.  Finally found my copy of the Golden Legend
and the closest I can get to this story is Valentine healing the blindness
of the
Prefect's daughter resulting in the conversion of the entire family (had to
see that coming).

So - there must be something I'm missing and thought I'd ask.

Apologies for bringing such a . . . small . . . matter to this group, but I
just have to know

Thanks

George the Less (reaching a new low)

to: [log in to unmask]