Stuart,

off the top of my head, the visitor studies literature is full of
this kind of research, some conducted with paper/pencil/clipboard,
and others with motion sensing/other tech surveillance. see
http://www.visitorstudies.org/ and their journal, Visitor Studies
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/10645578.asp

some quick finds in the lit.

Hans-Joachim Klein , Tracking Visitor Circulation in Museum Settings
see http://eab.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/25/6/782

handheld device studies have also tracked visitor usage:
see Nancy Proctor and Chris Tellis, The State of the Art in Museum
Handhelds in 2003
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2003/papers/proctor/proctor.html

geri gay at cornell has been involved in technology for tracking - for example:
Pai, S.; Kuryloski, P.; Yip, H.; Yennamandra, S.; Wicker, S.;
Boehner, K.; Gay, G.,
Networks of Sensors in Public Spaces: Combining Technology with Art
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel5/4221005/4224052/04224137.pdf?tp=&isnumber=&arnumber=4224137

one of her students also path analysis at the Johnson Museum Cornell.

/jt

At 3:47 PM +0000 2/6/09, Dunn, Stuart wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I'm interested in tracking and mapping the paths visitors take
>around museums and galleries. Ideally, I would like to gather
>information on *where* the visitor goes on the floorplan, and *how
>long* they spend in particular locations. It sounds a rather tall
>order when put like that, but it's been done elsewhere - see
>http://www.itc.nl/library/Papers_2003/art_proc/kraak.pdf (especially
>p. 1989). I'm not aware of any studies or applications in the
>museums/galleries area, and wondered if any members of this list had
>any experience of gathering such data, using (e.g.) time-sensitive
>GPS devices?
>
>Any pointers or advice would be very gratefully received, on-list of off.
>
>All best,
>
>-Stuart
>

>-----------------------
>
>Dr Stuart Dunn
>Research Fellow
>Centre for e-Research
>King's College London
>
>www.ahessc.ac.uk/stuart-dunn
>
>Tel +44 (0)207 848 2709
>Fax +44 (0)207 848 1989
>
>Centre for e-Research
>26-29 Drury Lane
>London WC2B 5RL
>UK
>
>Geohash: http://geohash.org/gcpvj1zm7yp1

J. Trant				[log in to unmask]
Partner & Principal Consultant		phone: +1 416 691 2516
Archives & Museum Informatics		fax: +1 416 352 6025
158 Lee Ave, Toronto
Ontario M4E 2P3 Canada		http://www.archimuse.com