Wales Current Awareness Service /Gwasanaeth Gwybodaeth CILIP Cymru
Monday 9th February 2009
If you would like to receive your own copy of the Wales Current
Awareness Service, you can join the list at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/lis-wales.html or
contact Mandy Powell, Development Officer, Cilip Wales at [log in to unmask]

1. CYNULLIAD / WELSH ASSEMBLY
1.1 Fourth Economic Summit Communiqué
The fourth session of the all-Wales Economic Summit brought together
business leaders and representatives of key sectors to review progress
on tackling the recession.
Although Welsh unemployment remains lower than any time between 1984 and
1997, labour market statistics published last month show the number of
jobs in Wales is down 16,000 over the previous year (14,000 down over
the previous quarter). During 2009, other job losses recently announced
– notably by Corus, affecting around 1,100 jobs in Wales – will be
factored into the employment picture.
The meeting received a full update on the responses co-ordinated by the
Welsh Assembly Government since the third Summit on 5 December 2008.
Members were pleased to note the rapid roll-out of the new ProAct
initiative, introduced as a pilot scheme for Wales’ automotive industry.
This new scheme provides quality training for employees put on
short-time working – offering an alternative to redundancy, through
retraining on days not being worked.
To read full article visit:
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2933598/?lang=en

1.2 Telesgop lands new contracts and expands into new markets
Telesgop – one of Wales’ fastest growing production companies announced
today (Thursday February 5) that it has secured contracts worth in
excess of £1.8million and is expanding its capacity to become one of the
UK’s leading providers of internet TV.
The news coincided with the launch of their new purpose built
headquarters on SA1 Swansea Waterfront which were officially opened by
Ieuan Wyn Jones, Minister for the Economy and Transport at the Welsh
Assembly Government.
Support from the Assembly Government enabled Telesgop to create twelve
new jobs, create a new multimedia team, and invest in the latest
internet and Hi Definition technology.
Opening their new facilities the Minister said:
It's always good news to hear that a Welsh business is expanding and
successfully entering new markets and winning significant new business.
We have a wealth of talent in Wales particularly in the creative
industries sector and I am particularly pleased the Assembly Government
has been able to support Telesgop with their exciting plans.
To read full article visit:
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2930731/?lang=en

1.3 Automotive workers get ‘ProActive’
One of the first companies in Wales who could benefit from the Welsh
Assembly Government’s unique ProAct scheme has been announced today
[Thursday 5 February 2009] during a visit from the First Minister.
100 staff at the Japanese-owned automotive component manufacturer,
Shimizu, based in Welshpool, could receive up to £2,000 of funding per
individual for training and a wage subsidy of £2,000 each.
Shimizu is in the process of putting together its ProAct training plan
with assistance from the Welsh Assembly Government’s Human Resources
Development Advisors.
ProAct is a new £48m scheme launched in January this year which provides
funding for employers who are facing difficulties during the recession.
The support is intended to help businesses prepare for economic recovery
by up-skilling their workforce while they are on short-time working and
retaining skilled staff who may otherwise be made redundant.  The pilot
programme is focussing on the automotive sector with a view to extending
this to other private sector companies.
To read full article visit:
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2930315/?lang=en

1.4 Minister publishes planning advice on sport, recreation and open
spaces
Updated advice for sport, recreation and other open spaces was published
by Welsh Assembly Government Environment, Sustainability and Housing
Minister Jane Davidson today (Thursday 5 Feb).
Technical Advice Note (TAN) 16, 'Sport, Recreation and Open Space' is
the latest TAN to be revised in a series of guidelines for communities,
developers and local planning authorities in Wales, to help them prepare
local development plans and make decisions on planning applications.
Jane Davidson said:
Planning plays an essential part in helping deliver the Assembly
Government's strategies for the people, environment and economy of
Wales. I am pleased that the revised note reflects our commitment to a
healthier, more sustainable country.
It draws on our strategies for sport and recreation, play, health and
well-being while recognising that managing open, green  spaces can help
us deal with some of the effects of climate change.
The TAN advises local planning authorities – Wales' 22 local councils
and three National Park Authorities – on preparing Open Space
Assessments.  These can help authorities with their longer term
development planning and also provide planners throughout Wales with a
common basis to gauge the current provision of parks and other green
spaces and help to meet future needs.
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2932436/?lang=en

1.5 European funding for credit unions
A £750,000 project to extend financial services to help people in Wales
struggling to manage their money has been given the go-ahead for
Convergence funding, Social Justice Minister Dr Brian Gibbons announced
yesterday (Wednesday Feb 4th).
The European Regional Development Fund has contributed almost £270,000
to fund the project in Convergence Areas, which has been matched by the
Welsh Assembly Government. A further £217,000 has been provided by the
Assembly Government to run the project in other areas.
The project will strengthen the existing network and attract thousands
more customers who will benefit from a range of services including
savings schemes, and affordable loans as well as information and advice
on managing their finances. It will target those on low incomes and
struggling with debt. It will also provide vital support for people who
may have a poor credit history and are unable to access mainstream
banking services.
The credit union movement in Wales exists to provide a trusted,
community-based service which currently assists more than 47,000 people.
The new scheme will raise awareness and provide an alternative solution
to the risks of turning to loan sharks and doorstep lenders to relieve
such pressures.
To read full article visit:
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2932189/?lang=en

1.6 ‘A piece of cake’ for bakery workers to gain new skills
Deputy Minister for Skills John Griffiths has today launched a new
learning centre for employees at Avana Bakeries in Rogerstone, Newport.
The Welsh Assembly Government’s Wales Union Learning Fund (WULF) has
provided nearly £100,000 of funding for the provision of services at the
new learning centre at Avana Bakeries, a supplier of Marks and Spencer
and part of the UK’s biggest food manufacturer, Premier Foods.

The funding, secured by the ‘The Bakers, Food and Allied Workers Union'
(BFAWU) is set to bring more learning opportunities to Avana Bakeries'
employees via a range of vocational learning. The learning opportunities
will enable employees to gain extra skills at pre NVQ and at levels 1
and 2 in a flexible and supportive environment.
Cutting a specially made cake to mark the official opening of the
learning centre, John Griffiths said:
I am delighted that the funding provided by the Welsh Assembly
Government and effective partnership working between trade unions and
employers has created such a fantastic opportunity for workers to gain
extra skills. The learning centre project is another investment in the
workforce of Wales and  an excellent example of how we are helping to
protect our workers from the challenges our economy faces.
http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/latest/2926501/?lang=en

2. ADDYSG BELLACH AC UWCH / HE AND FE

2.1 Aberystwyth University to play major role in largest single UK green
energy initiative

Scientists from Aberystwyth University are set to play a major role in a
£27m UK initiative launched by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences
Research Council (BBSRC) on Tuesday 27 January 2009, to develop clean,
green and sustainable fuels.

The BBSRC Sustainable Bioenergy Centre (BSBEC) represents the biggest
ever single UK public investment in bioenergy research. Its aim is to
provide the science to underpin and develop the important and emerging
UK sustainable bioenergy sector – and to replace the petrol in cars with
fuels derived from plants.

Dr Iain Donnison from the Institute of Biological, Environmental and
Rural Sciences (IBERS) at Aberystwyth University will be working with
scientists from Rothamsted Research, Imperial College London and
Cambridge University on the Perennial Bioenergy Crops Programme – one of
six research hubs that make up BSBEC.

To read full article visit:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/aberonline/en/archive/2009/01/au909/

2.2 Developing Europe’s Rural Regions in the Era of Globalization
To a person living in a remote corner of Slovenia, Sweden or even West
Wales, globalisation may appear to be a remote concept, involving big
towns and cities with their Starbucks and McDonalds, and indeed academic
research in the field would seem to support this way of thinking, with
most studies in recent years focusing on urban concerns.
This is all set to change with a new three-year project which is being
coordinated by the Institute of Geography and Earth Sciences at
Aberystwyth University.
Professor Michael Woods, Head of the Institute, is leading a €1.5m study
funded by the European Union Framework Programme into Developing
Europe’s Rural Regions in the Era of Globalization (DERREG).
This ambitious project will work with partners in nine European
countries, ranging from Sweden in the north to Spain in the south,
Ireland in the west and the Czech Republic in the east. The nature of
the areas studied will vary from very remote areas such as the west of
Ireland to rural regions that are close to industrial centres such as
Saarland in Germany.
Professor Woods has been interested in the idea behind the project for a
number of years. His research has been predominantly in the area of
rural politics and governance, and he is fascinated by the way in which
global processes affect different regions.
 “One of the fallacies about globalization is that it is a steam-roller
that erodes local differences,” says Professor Woods. “Yes, there are
overarching trends that affect us all but different regions are
differently positioned to respond to them.”

Globalization is obviously a tremendously large concept, so the team has
broken it down into a series of themes. One of these is the economic
impact, and how businesses in rural areas are becoming engaged in global
processes. Another is increased mobility and migration, such as migrant
workers and second home owners.

Sustainable development is the next element, looking for instance at how
rural areas can use their natural environment as capital, such as
through ecotourism or the potential for renewable energy. The final
theme is capacity building, looking at issues such as education and
training.
There is a practical purpose to this research. At the end of the
three-year project, the intention is that there will be an online
resource centre which will make the information gathered and conclusions
reached publicly available as a tool to be used by people involved with
rural and regional development. This can then inform the preparation of
strategies to cope with globalization, allowing people to look at the
issues in the context of their own regions and highlighting best
practice.
To read full article visit:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/aberonline/en/archive/2009/01/au1309/

2.3 £13m booster for North Wales learning

From Daily Post
A UNIVERSITY is to change the face of education in North Wales with
three new centres of learning worth £13m.
Professor Michael Scott, vice chancellor of Glyndwr University in
Wrexham, spoke exclusively to the Daily Post last night about plans for
a groundbreaking £2m early learning facility, as well as the development
of an £8m design and technology block and a £3m conference and arts
venue.
“We get the keys to the conference and arts centre in the coming days
and hope to formally open it in June,” said Prof Scott.
“It’s a conversion of the old school hall and now looks a very modern
building, it looks fantastic.
“We are also developing an £8m technology building which is only at the
design stage at the moment. It will be great when it comes through.”
But the most exciting development, according to Prof Scott, is the early
learning centre, following a £2m grant from the Welsh Assembly
Government recently.
“This is going to be at the cutting edge,” he said. “We are going to
look at what schools and nurseries have been doing with 0-3 year olds
and we even have a degree in children’s play now at the university.
“The concept is different, it’s not all about education.
“You don’t just put education in a centre like this and hope it works,
you put the child in the centre and see what the child needs – love,
security, financial security, as well as numeracy and literacy.
“That’s part of it but it’s also going to concentrate on health, diet,
physical exercise. It’s going to be unique.
He added: “We’re looking at the long-term, so the proof of whether we’re
successful will be in 16-18 years time, not right now.
“We will see then if we have the same problems in society – such as
binge-drinking and violence – young people feel angry and
disenfranchised so we need to get right back to the start of the process
and say to ourselves, ‘this child is special’.
“We tell the play leaders this, and the nursery nurses, and parenting is
so important.
“The political feedback has been very good so we can’t wait to go ahead
with this.”
The North East Institute of Higher Education (Newi) was granted
university status by royal assent of the Queen, on the advice of the
Privy Council last July.
The institute, which has nearly 8,000 students, was named Glyndr
University after Wales’ most famous son – the visionary leader, scholar
and nation builder Owain Glyndr.
And Prof Scott admits its inauguration on February 28 will be a proud
day for everyone who oversaw its transition.
“I’ve been here for eight years now, and my dream back then was for us
to become a university within seven years, which we did,” he said.
“We’ve redefined and extended what our mission was and are focused even
more now.
“Everything we do is for the development and economic regeneration of
this region and our community.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2009/01/31/13m-booster-
for-north-wales-learning-55578-22821410/

2.4 Welsh language plays leading role in new suite

From Daily Post
A REVOLUTIONARY new digital conferencing suite – the first of its kind
in the UK – has been opened at Wrexham’s Glyndr University.
Saville Audio Visual, in collaboration with the university, has equipped
the William Morgan Room at the university campus with the Beyer Dynamic
Revoluto, the world’s first line array microphone system.
Delegates using the room will be able to benefit from vastly improved
audio quality when speaking and listening to others.
The installation is part of an audio visual package, including
sophisticated audio recording and remote voting software, control
interfaces and video projection equipment.
“Our intention with the room was to bring state of the art technology
alongside a paperless working environment and I feel that we’ve
accomplished this,” said Andrew Cheatham, the university’s technical
manager.
The William Morgan Room, officially opened by Deputy First Minister
Ieuan Wyn Jones, will be used for official university meetings, as well
as by students studying on Glyndr University’s new foundation degree in
Welsh translation.
The room is named after former Bishop of Wales, William Morgan, the
first person to translate all of the Bible into Welsh.
Mr Jones said: “The use of Welsh is increasing and a lot of businesses
now recognise the value of the Welsh language.
“The William Morgan Room will be a very important facility for the local
community as well as the university. The institution has always been
very committed to providing facilities for the community and should be
congratulated for that.”
Professor Michael Scott, vice-chancellor of Glyndr University, said:
“The Welsh language is something we are tremendously proud of, so we
decided that our new Welsh translation course should be taught in this
room.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business-news/business-news/2009/02/03/welsh-
language-plays-leading-role-in-new-suite-55578-22838790/

2.5 Secretary of State praises research excellence
The UK’s Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills,
John Denham MP has visited the University to see the world-leading
research being undertaken at Cardiff.
Mr Denham described the vital role universities play in supporting
employers and employees through challenging economic times and laying
the foundations for the upturn.  He said: “The research undertaken in
centres of excellence like those I’ve seen at Cardiff University not
only lead to new treatments that benefit the community but provide
important innovations that contribute to the UK’s bottom line.”
Welcomed by the Vice-Chancellor, Dr David Grant and Deputy
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Peter Blood the Secretary of State, Mr Denham
was joined by the Welsh Assembly Minister for Children, Education,
Lifelong Learning and Skills Jane Hutt AM and given a guided tour of the
£21m School of Optometry and Vision Sciences.
To read full article visit:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/articles/secretary-of-state-praises-resear
ch-excellence.html

2.6 Cardiff researchers could herald a new era in fundamental physics
Researchers from the School of Physics and Astronomy searching the
depths of space to study gravitational waves, may have stumbled on one
of the most important discoveries in physics according to an American
physicist.
Craig Hogan, a physicist at Fermilab Centre for Particle Astrophysics in
Illinois is convinced that he has found proof in the data of the
gravitational wave detector GEO600 of a holographic Universe – and that
his ideas could explain mysterious noise in the detector data that has
not been explained so far.
Scientists from the School’s Gravitational Physics Group, who are part
of a European team working on the GEO600, will now carry out new
experiments in the coming months to yield more evidence about Craig
Hogan’s assumptions.  If proved correct, it could help in the quest to
bring together quantum mechanics and Einstein’s theory of gravity.
To read full article visit:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/news/articles/cardiff-researchers-could-herald-
a-new-era-in-fundamental-physics.html

2.7 Study of Health of Young People First for Wales.
A unique study, which will monitor the physical health of young people
in a South Wales Valleys community, is being carried out by exercise
scientists at the University of Glamorgan.
Working with pupils at Porth County Community School over an eighteen
weeks period, experts will be monitoring obesity, physical fitness,
cardiovascular risk factors, diet and psychological well being amongst
400 youngsters
In the first study of its kind, the pupils, aged 12 and 13, will be
carrying out exercise while doing their day to day national curriculum
based studies while completing an activity knowledge circuit.
The study will monitor the improvement, or not, in the children’s’
health over the period. This part of the study is innovative, as it will
affect the children who are particularly inactive in addition to the
pupils who have active lifestyles. The study will also monitor physical
activity levels and dietary habits of the children outside of school
hours.
The exercise sessions will be two hours per week for eighteen weeks.
Blood biochemistry, blood pressure, body mass, maturation status,
anthropometry, physical activity, diet, psychological status and
lifestyle will all be assessed pre and post intervention.
The team conducting the study is led by Professor Julien Baker of the
University of Glamorgan along with his colleagues Professor Bruce Davies
and Dr Sue Falkner as well as Dr Non Thomas (UWIC) Dr Jaynie Rance
(University of Swansea).
To read full article visit:
http://news.glam.ac.uk/news/en/2009/feb/02/study-health-young-people-fir
st-wales/

2.8 World First for Computer Forensics
The University of Glamorgan has teamed up with American company
<http://www.accessdata.com/> AccessData to offer the first courses in
the world to be accredited by the leading Computer Forensic software
company.
From September 2009 both the University’s undergraduate and postgraduate
degree courses in Computer Forensics will carry the unique accreditation
from AccessData.
Paula Thomas, Head of Computer Science Division explained, “We are the
first University in the world to work in partnership with AccessData in
this way. This accreditation will give our students a head start when it
comes to finding employment in the Computer Forensics industry.”
AccessData delivers court-validated, state-of-the-art computer forensic,
password cracking and decryption solutions to law enforcement,
government agencies and corporations around the world. Recognized as an
industry leader, AccessData provides unsurpassed training in the field
of computer forensics, and its ACE certification is one of the most
sought after designations among industry professionals.
To read full article visit:

<http://news.glam.ac.uk/news/en/2009/feb/04/world-first-computer-forensi
cs/>
http://news.glam.ac.uk/news/en/2009/feb/04/world-first-computer-forensic
s/

2.9 Newport Business School Selected as one of 20 in UK to Teach New
Marketing Qualification

Newport Business School is celebrating after its students’ high pass
rates have resulted in it being selected as one of an elite group of
accredited study centres allowed to deliver the new Chartered
Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing.
Only 20 institutions in the UK were chosen by the Chartered Institute of
Marketing (CIM) to deliver its prestigious new Postgraduate
qualification, and Newport Business School made the grade because its
students consistently score pass rates of more than 25% above the
national and international average.

"We are delighted to have been named as one of the elite few to offer
this new Postgraduate qualification, as the CIM is committed to only
offering a high quality course in what is the benchmark qualification
for employers,"
said Sue Cole, Senior CIM Lecturer at Newport Business School, which is
part of the University of Wales, Newport

visit www.newport.ac.uk

 <http://www3.newport.ac.uk/news/displayStory.aspx?story_id=350>
http://www3.newport.ac.uk/news/displayStory.aspx?story_id=350

3. LLYFRGELLOEDD CYHOEDDUS / PUBLIC LIBRARIES

3.1 Dark Tales from the Woods

An exciting new project based around Daniel Morden's book Dark Tales
from the Woods has started in the Bryn y Cwm area.
In Dark Tales from the Woods Daniel Morden retells the stories of Abram
Wood, the king of the gypsies, who came to Wales at the beginning of the
eighteenth century.  It is a collection of gripping, traditional tales
featuring dark deeds, dark motives and magic!
Dark Tales from the Woods is suitable for children aged 9 - 11.
During January Daniel held Year 5 children spellbound as he told them
dark tales.  During February the children will have the opportunity to
take part in a follow-up workshop (encouraging children to write and
perform their own fantastic stories) with storyteller Jan Shivel.
On Saturday 7th March 2009 the best story-telling children will be
invited to share their stories in a celebration at The Priory Centre in
Abergavenny.  This event will be funded by the Welsh Books Council as
part of their support for World Book Day.
Every child in Year 5 or Year 6 in the Bryn y Cwm area can borrow a copy
of the awarding winning book from
<http://libraries.monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.php?lang=EN&navId=8>
Abergavenny Library or
<http://libraries.monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.php?lang=EN&navId=11>
Gilwern Library.
http://libraries.monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.php?lang=EN
<http://libraries.monmouthshire.gov.uk/index.php?lang=EN&navId=141>
&navId=141
3.2 Duffryn could get library in Tredegar House
From South Wales Argus

A NEW and much-needed library for the Duffryn area of Newport could be
housed in the city's historic Tredegar House.
Council officers are preparing to apply to CyMAL (the advisory body for
Museums, Archives and Libraries) for up to £300,000 of grant aid for the
project.
If the bid is successful, it is proposed that the money would be used to
internally renovate the visitors centre to combine that use with a new
library.
It would also install public access computers and equip a small learning
space, said a report by Gill John, community learning and libraries
manager.
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/search/4107293.Duffryn_could_get_librar
y_in_Tredegar_House/

4. DATBLYGU DARLLENWYR / READER DEVELOPMENT

4.1 Our children won’t succeed if they don’t read books
From The Sunday Times
February 8, 2009

“As libraries ditch print for computers, a well-known author argues that
the move puts the next generation’s future at risk

Frank Cottrell Boyce

<http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoolgate/2009/02/how-secondary-s.html>
School Gate blog: author Joe Craig asks why secondary schools destroy
creativity
One of my most triumphant moments as a parent came in my local library.
A daughter – I’m a father of seven – had taken it upon herself to read
The Gruffalo to a sibling. She got louder and more expressive until
every head in the place was turned towards her. People were on tiptoe
peeping over shelves. Strangers’ children gathered at her feet and, when
she finished, clamoured for her to read more.
Why did it feel so different from the torture of “round the class”
reading when I was at school? Because it was done for fun and not for
marks. Unesco, the United Nations educational and cultural arm, has
produced a report which shows that reading for pleasure is the single
best indicator of social mobility. People who can lose themselves in a
book do better than those who can’t. Simple as that. Everyone wants the
best for their children. Parents go private, hire tutors, even move
house for educational edge. But the most effective thing you can do is
share the pleasure of reading with them. Take them to the library.”
To read full article visit:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/
article5682895.ece

4.2 Patterson, master of all genres, tops library list
James Patterson is less a novelist than a literary factory, and it seems
the British public cannot get enough of him.
The American is revealed today as the UK's most borrowed author from
libraries, coming top for the second year, after his books were taken
out more than 1.5m times between July 2007 and June 2008.
Patterson and the writers he employs are happy to keep the fans happy,
with the Patterson name emblazoned across at least eight books in the
last year, in genres from thriller to romance to misery memoir. Other
writers' names regularly appear on the cover - often in much smaller
type - but he denies that he sometimes has no involvement at all in the
writing. Last year he said: "I get all this baloney about well, what
does he do? Does he even look at them? Well yes, he does look at them."
Among his series are the Alex Cross books about a black detective and
model single father who mixes family life and volunteering with tackling
unimaginably horrible killers. There is his Maximum Ride series for
young adults featuring youngsters who are 2% avian. Other heroes are the
four women in San Francisco who eat Mexican food while solving murders.
The list goes on to more than 60 published works. It is mainly this
prolificness that ensures Patterson is number one. The other two holders
of the top spot since records began were similarly able to turn them
out: Jacqueline Wilson was number one from 2002-06 and before that it
was Catherine Cookson for 18 years.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/feb/06/james-patterson-libraries

5. DATBLYGIAD PROFFESIYNOL / PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

5.1  ACLIP/MCLIP support event
There will be a CILIP Cymru / Career Development Group Wales ACLIP/MCLIP
event for prospective Chartership, Associate candidates at Flint library
on Tuesday 24 February.
Please contact Kate Leonard, [log in to unmask] , at Flint
library for more details or to book a place.

5.2 CILIP Training & Development- February
Don't forget - CILIP members receive up to 40% discount on all CILIP
training.

ROVING WITH A PURPOSE IN HE/FE LIBRARIES
17 FEBRUARY 2009, LONDON
Roving, or floor walking, has recently been adopted by a number of
library and information services in order to become more proactive,
providing point of use assistance to users wherever they are. This
intensive one-day CILIP workshop will give an introduction to the
concept of roving and provide you with practical ideas and examples to
help develop roving in your own service.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
* What roving means and why it matters
* Roving to improve your service
* Delivering proactive library services for the 21st C
* Managing the learning environment

FULL DETAILS:
http://www.cilip.org.uk/training/training/2009/libinfo/rovingwithapurpos
einheorfelibraries.htm

CONSULTANCY SKILLS FOR LIBRARIANS
4 & 5 FEBRUARY 2009, LONDON
An essential course for senior library/information staff and frontline
staff seeking recognition for their high quality service and are keen to
deepen their relationship with users. This two-day course explores a
series of practical exercises offering advice on how best to build
confidence and establish your role at  consultancy level.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
* The consultancy process and skill set
* Client / consultant relationship
* Mapping the consultancy stakeholders
* Project managing a consultancy exercise

FULL DETAILS:
http://www.cilip.org.uk/training/training/2009/mp/consultancyskillsforli
brarians.htm

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF GOOGLE(tm)
19 FEBRUARY 2009, LONDON
How do you Google? Without doubt Google is the information
professional's general purpose search engine of choice but many of us
perform searches simply by entering subject terms. This can often bring
back good results but not always, because we are not using Google(tm) in
the most effective way. This one-day hands-on CILIP course will teach
you the techniques needed to bring the most relevant hits to the top of
your search list.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
* How it works and why it matters
* The future - what's going on in the labs?

FULL DETAILS:
http://www.cilip.org.uk/training/training/2009/ict/gettingthemostoutofgo
ogle.htm

REFLECTIVE PRACTICE FOR LIS STAFF
25 FEBRUARY 2009, LONDON
The ability to reflect on activity and learn from the experience adds
purpose and meaning to the way we work. This established CILIP training
course will enable you to explore a range of approaches and gain
practical insights into the practice of reflection.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
* Background to reflection and reflective practice
* Noticing what happens - the use of feedback
* Reflective approach: Kolb and Gibbs
* Reflection and learning

FULL DETAILS:
http://www.cilip.org.uk/training/training/2009/md/reflectivepractice.htm

You can browse the full selection of courses for February and the rest
of 2009, online: http://www.cilip.org.uk/trainingcourses

6. LLYFRGELL GENEDLAETHOL / NATIONAL LIBRARY OF WALES

6.1 New search solution for electronic resources

The National Library of Wales has launched a new search solution for its
subscribed electronic resources.

<http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=eresources&lng=en&inst
=consortium&conf=chameleon.conf&search=BROADCAST&function=SEARCHSCR&sour
cescreen=NOFUNC&elementcount=1&pos=1&submit=TabData> External Resources
offers quick and easy searching across electronic resources ranging from
18th century newspapers to 21st century e-books. This not only makes
searching simpler but also encourages users to explore resources they
may not have considered relevant before.

Most of these resources are available through
<http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=243&> Athens to anyone with a
reader’s ticket who lives in Wales. To register for a reader’s ticket
and an Athens account please visit our website at www.llgc.org.uk.

External Resources is powered by Webfeat, a next-generation federated
search solution. For more information on Webfeat please visit
www.webfeat.org <http://www.webfeat.org/>

http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=1514
<http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=1514&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5btt_news
%5d=1716&tx_ttnews%5bbackPid%5d=2&cHash=979174bf5f>
&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1716&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=979174bf5

7. IECHYD / HEALTH
7.1 Health Promotion Library New Books Bulletin
See attached (Issue 1, 2009)

Find out more about the Health Promotion Library-
http://wales.gov.uk/topics/health/ocmo/publications/library/?lang=en

Mandy Powell
Development Officer

Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, Wales

07837 032 536