Dear Colleague,

This E-mail provides details of the last courses in MLA North West’s final Workforce Development programme in March 2009 and which is linked to the MLA Partnership’s strategic priorities on leaning and skills, cohesive communities, excellence and innovation.

MLA North West has invested £50,000 in the programme to ensure that all events are offered free of charge; each place has a value of over £200 per delegate.  All training events are relevant and open to museums, libraries and archives staff collectively.

The outline programme is shown below, click on the headings for more details.  Please use the attached booking form to request a place/s on any of the events.

We hope that you and your staff will capitalise on this opportunity for high quality continuous professional development.

Kind Regards

Vivienne Tyler

Business in the Arts:North West

Room 305

Queens Dock Business Centre

Norfolk St

Liverpool

L1 0BG

0151 709 8780

MLA North West’s Workforce Development Programme

October 2008 to March 2009

The programme relates to the MLA Partnership’s 3 strategic priorities:

All training events are relevant and open to museums, libraries and archives staff collectively and most sessions are repeated at locations across the region in order to ensure maximum access and take up.

Many of the sessions will showcase good practice case studies.

The programme will:

·         Enable participants to take away practical skills and expertise to improve their practice

·         Provide a deeper understanding of the strategic and policy context for key themes and initiatives driving our sector

 CLICK ON COURSE TITLES FOR MORE INFORMATION

SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN & YOUNG PEOPLE

18 March 12.30 – 4.30 – Conservation Studios, Preston

For all those responsible for both managing and delivering projects and activities for children and young people aged 0 to 18 years.  A half-day session on safeguarding children and young people when they are in our institutions.

WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE?

25 March 12.30 – 4.30 – Conservation Studios, Preston

The Who Do We Think We Are? educational programme engages primary and secondary school teachers in the exploration of identity, diversity and citizenship with children and young people.  Learn about the opportunities this initiative offers the sector and how to get involved.  For staff managing and delivering life long learning programmes in MLAs.

WORKING IN PARTNERSHIPS

26 March 1.00 – 4.30 – Urbis, Manchester

Some might say that working in partnership is the 'new black'.  Partnerships can be formed to develop new types of education work; to reach new audiences; to help local authorities in delivering their strategies for sustainable cohesive communities and, on a larger scale, enable MLAs to play a role in Local Strategic Partnerships.  Some partnerships may have funding or income implications and so have added importance.

The session will look at good practice in forming partnerships and how to get the most out of them and would be suitable for anyone who has a role that is either partly or wholly external facing.  Presented by Brian King until recently Principal Consultant, Cultural Services Improvement Project for the Improvement and Development Agency.

CHANGES TO THE PRIMARY HISTORY CURRICULUM

27 March 10.00 – 1.00 – Gorton Monastery, Manchester

The recent publication of the Independent Review of the Primary Curriculum, led by Sir Jim Rose, sets out provisional recommendations for revised programmes of study and guidance, which will be introduced into schools from September 2011.

MLA North West has invited to Sue Temple, Senior Lecturer in Primary History at Cumbria University, to brief colleagues on how the changes will impact on our formal learning programmes for Key Stage 1 and 2 and to outline what potential challenges and opportunities the changes will bring.

(Please see our terms and conditions, including our cancellation policy, on the booking form.)

Vivienne Tyler
Manager

Business in the Arts:North West
Room 305
Queens Dock Business Centre
Norfolk St
Liverpool
L1 0BG

Tel: 0151-709 8780
Fax: 0151-707 0758
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.businessinarts-nw.org.uk
Charity registration No. 1046901
Company limited by guarantee registered in England No. 2508104