I posted a few weeks ago about library use in times of economic downturn and
thought it was about time I summarized the responses.

Generally speaking, quite a few respondents out there are seeing an upturn in
library usage, but are wary of attributing solely to the economic conditions
because of the influence of initiatives such as NYR. (see below)

Here in Devon overall issues are up about 6% y-o-y. This is the first such
increase in several years. In fact I believe that the national peak of borrowing
was in 1995 at the end of the last recession!

Membership has also increased by 27,000 but it’s difficult to assess this
against the background noise of NYR.

Several respondents mentioned publicity, promotions and press releases with
titles such as ‘Buy none, get 10 free’, ‘Credit crunch? Let the Library Service
give you something for nothing’ and ’10 ways libraries can help with the credit
crunch’, to name but a few.

One or two respondents mentioned targeted initiatives as a way to attract
new customers.

Here at the City Business Library we are offering lunchtime seminars aimed for
people in small businesses and business start-ups. These are all free and many
have been oversubscribed within a couple of hours of promotion via our web
page and email list of contacts. We have just held a session called "Finding
business leads in a recession". Which is an in-house seminar encouraging both
users and non-users to use the electronic resources we provide.

Beating the downturn
Find out how libraries can help your business survive and prosper in the
economic downturn. 11 Feb 17.45 – 19.45 Manchester Central Library.
Join us at our informal open evening to find out how you can boost your
business from some of the biggest names in business information.

We have seen a big increase in demand by customers wanting help with CVs
and covering letters so it would seem that some customers do know exactly
where to go for assistance during difficult economic times.

I hope this is helpful, if I receive any further information I will of course
summarise for the board.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Stores