Many thanks Alyson for feeding back to the list and in advance to
Genevieve in the expectation that a Vital Link development will follow.

What to do with the stock in terms of shelf display and the
sensitivities involved is indeed a struggle. In our largest library, the
Central Library in Exeter, we've created a much wider section on Life
Skills by including as well as the different approaches to functional
literacy & numeracy, reading on other aspects such as signing, foreign
languages, cooking, car maintenance and so on so that as a colleague so
neatly puts it ...

	"We have mixed in "popular culture" items, fact and fiction,
that may be more enticing to adults such as
	What not To Wear  Trinny and Susannah
	How to Change your Life in 7 Steps  John Bird
	Easy Ipod and Itunes See it done do it yourself by Shelly
Brisbin
	Car Basics  Kevin Elliot
	Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing - (a guide in pictures) Bernard
Venables
	Briget Jones Diary Helen Fielding
	The Unadulterated Cat Terry Pratchett
	Adult Learners Dictionary
	Cookery Books

	Anyone in that area could be looking at anything."

But that's a relatively easy and obviously sensible & practicable &
flexible approach given the overall scale of the library. The same
approach becomes increasingly difficult the smaller the library & with
50 libraries overall & so many of them really quite small, we too would
be very interested to hear of other library services' experiences &
suggestions

Mike

Mike Maguire
Service Development Manager
Devon Library & Information Services
tel 01392 384326
fax 01392 384316
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.devon.gov.uk/library/
Disclaimer: http://www.devon.gov.uk/email.shtml

THINK CARBON FOOTPRINT! - Do you really need to print this email? Save
Paper - Save Money - Reduce Waste