Dear All

Apologies for cross posting

On 3rd January I posted an email copied below asking about approaches to training staff and research students in the context of the increasing digitisation of theses. Many thanks to those who replied – particularly those who went into considerable depth in their responses.

A summary below.

I received nine responses mostly from pre 1992 University. Four responders described training across their institution, 2 were reports of individual subject or faculty training, one response described relevant Library copyright training courses not specifically designed with recent advances in thesis digitisation in mind and one predicted what Library staff might contribute. Several felt that though they had established some training eg in the Arts there was more to do and would like to know what we plan and what others are doing. One post 1992 institution had nothing in place but expressed an interest in a summary of responses to our email.

Summary

1 Are you already offering additional training for students/staff? Yes – 3, No 2

2. If not are you considering doing so? Of those answering No to Q1 1 was considering offering training. The other answered “not yet”

3. Is it or will it be compulsory? Yes – 1 (Arts only), No – 3, Not yet – 1

4. How is it (will it be) delivered for students and for staff?

The range of answers included factsheets, handouts, web page information, presentations through various programmes including postgraduate research skills; and individual queries/emails,  small group. Staff Development Hour and other cascade training for staff. A VLE (WebCT ) is mentioned once in one of the general Library courses

5. Is it linked to other skills training or courses?

Yes – 3 , Could be – 1

6. What content do you (might you) include in training for staff and for
students?
The range of answers included:
·         Background and general copyright issues eg photocopying
·         Author copyright ie interests in their own work.
·         Optional use of Creative Commons licence
·         Third party copyright issues and requesting permissions if necessary.
·         Practical advice re. requesting permissions. Pro forma letters etc.
·         Understanding the deposit licence, supplying an electronic copy and the transfer of theses out of the local IR and into the EThOS database.
·         Restrictions/embargoes and how to request them.

7. Who is responsible for the training?

Library staff – 5, Copyright officers - 3, Institutional repository staff - 1, IPR staff - 1, Grad research office - 1

Here in Reading we are discussing what training to offer staff and research postgraduate students on copyright implications of the increasing digitisation of theses - in the context of the BL Ethos project and beyond.

We would be interested to know how others are approaching this both in terms of the content of such training and the methods of delivery. So if you are able to share your thoughts/practices with us we would be very

grateful and will of course post a summary to the list. Some questions for you to consider:

1. Are you already offering additional training for students/staff?

2. If not are you considering doing so?

3. Is it or will it be compulsory?

4. How is it (will it be) delivered for students and for staff?

5. Is it linked to other skills training or courses?

6. What content do you (might you) include in training for staff and for

students?

7. Who is responsible for the training eg Library staff, Copyright

Officer, Exams Office, Institutional Repository Staff?

8. Any other comments/problems encountered/issues we have missed

Helen

Helen Hathaway

Team Manager Faculty of Science and Information Skills Coordinator

Main Library, University of Reading, Whiteknights,

PO Box 223, Reading RG6 6AE

Tel: (0118) 378 7870

www.reading.ac.uk/library