On 3 Feb 2009, at 12:03, Andy Powell wrote:

I think its important that we move to an acceptance that
*explicit* i.e.
coordinate reference based georeferencing is preferable to
*implicit* i.e. purely textual

Depends!  What's the user requirement?

Most of the time when I want to indicate "London, UK"  then I it is providing a context about a specific event or a specific entity.
In the repositories I have responsibility for, this may be the location of the conference where the item was presented, or the location of the institution to which the author is affiliated.

So "London, UK"  might mean "the British Library", or "Novotel Hotel, Euston Road" or "Birkbeck" or the "University of Middlesex". It is traditional in bibliographic citations to include the city of the journal publisher, or the city of the conference, so perhaps that explains my split attempts to have both a general and specific location.
--
Les