On 23 Feb 2009, at 13:54, Scott Wilson wrote:

> A lot of cash has been poured into this area around the world for
> the past decade (itself building on theory and practice of resource-
> based education and CBT going back as far as the 70's) with very few
> things still left standing; there have been massive projects in the
> EU, US, Canada, Australia... most of them have failed, and for
> reasons which are perhaps not at all obvious from an ePrints
> viewpoint.
Yes, I was involved in JISC's TLTP programme back in the day! It may
surprise people to know that I'm not as green as I am cabbage-looking:-)

> They also mostly all started from the same "obvious" business case/
> value proposition you've just rediscovered!
I don't think that there's a problem with my observations not being
novel - very few of them are. I think the problem comes with ideas not
being in the right place at the right time. The Web has gradually
changed the academic community - a kind of intellectual global warming
is taking place. Open Access has changed the climate of the debate,
the background of our practices and the attitudes of our funders.
Repositories may not be the ultimate answer to life, the universe and
everything, but I think that they do have something to offer to the
teaching and learning community.

> Don't take this the wrong way, but don't think bringing in ePrints
> will make the slightest bit of difference.
This bit I disagree with - but I'm sure we're both willing for JISC to
lavish huge amounts of money on us to prove who is right :-)

> The problem isn't the tools for sharing learning materials, it goes
> way deeper.
This bit I agree with - technology is 10% of the solution and 90% of
the problem, as my old PhD supervisor used to say. But I think having
the right 10% can be a major benefit.
--
Les