Delasalle, Jenny wrote:
> Oh, but there's a world of difference. Otherwise, why are we not just
> leaving it to academics to put stuff on their websites where Google
> can index it, rather than spending all this energy on repositories?
Isn't there a difference between
1) a central.... lets call it "database" of 'Scholarly Output' which has
been consistently catalogued, and
2) a collection of web pages that are chaotic and inconsistent?

Doesn't the former make it easier for
a) a researcher to find relevant 'Scholarly Output' for a given topic, and
b) an institution to put a corporate identity on 'Scholarly Outputs'
from their institution, thus raising the profile of said institution
(aka "Marketing")

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.