Yes, as Charles points out, the only way of doing it legally is to get
the author to give permission to a private requester. The technology
used has to allow for that, with an appropriate security mechanism to
make sure nobody else gets it.

I've never been clear whether a repository has a right to store such a
copy on a restricted basis in the first place if the publisher says it
may not, but it's often contended that this is allowed for
administrative purposes. Since repositories are demonstrably not
intended for that, and since the button is in place in such a scenario,
the intent seems to me to be to solicit requests and therefore to
redistribute. To my uninformed mind that would look like storing a copy
in breach of copyright. The response I've had in the past from Stevan
Harnad and others is, uncharacteristically I might add, that
repositories may serve purposes other than distributing content on the
web. I find it hard to credit that any court would be as simple-minded
as to swallow that argument, should the issue ever arise. It hasn't come
to court so far, so let's hope it never does. Perhaps any such case
would be unprovable anyway, but it would be nice to know the legal
position on storing a copy in a retrieval system, as one often sees the
phrase in copyright statements in published books.

Perhaps Charles has the answer to this? Clearly if one can't store a
copy, the issue of the button would never arise unless the publisher
specifically allowed a restricted-access copy to be held, rather
contrary to the purpose of their opposition to OA and presumably thus a
rare occurrence. If there are reasonable legal grounds to hold a
restricted-access copy in a repository despite the publisher's lack of
permission, then the issue evaporates.

Talat