From: The Health Equity Network (HEN) on behalf of alex scott-samuel
Sent: Sat 2/28/2009 10:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tackling health inequalities: the need to refocus upstream

just to make my argument absolutely clear Adam...

	we don't really know if altering personal lifestyle behaviours (even if it is a morally appropopriate thing to do) will or will not narrow long term health inequalities

I'm saying that we do now know - Gruer et al's data make it clear that altering personal lifestyle behaviours will not narrow long term health inequalities

	It might (smoking is a big killer after all, and smoking prevalence differences by income are large), but it might not (if, for example, people give up smoking but still die relatively young from a different income-related risk factor). So, we don't know

and I'm saying we do know - once again, Gruer's data suggest strongly that people giving up smoking WILL still die relatively young from a different income-related risk factor

Alex